Proficiency-Based Education & More
The definitions below are mainly from the Great Schools Partnership's Glossary of Education Reform or the Maine Department of Education.
- Authentic Assessment is a form of assessment that uses the evaluation of student-related tasks regarding "real-world issues, problems, and applications" to measure learning. (Glossary of Education Reform)
- "Curriculum mapping is the process indexing or diagramming a curriculum to identify and address academic gaps, redundancies, and misalignments for purposes of improving the overall coherence of a course of study and, by extension, its effectiveness (a curriculum, in the sense that the term is typically used by educators, encompasses everything that teachers teach to students in a school or course, including the instructional materials and techniques they use)." (Glossary of Education Reform)
- Essential Learning Outcome (ELO) refers to what students are expected to learn as part of a larger skill set. On the path to ELOs, students are expected to meet course learning outcomes (CLO), program based learning outcomes (PLO) for individual majors,and general education learning outcomes (GLOs).
- Formative Assessment: "Ongoing assessment carried out in order to determine the next appropriate instructional or learner steps." (Maine Department of Education)
- Mass Customized Learning: An educational structure that meets needs of every single learner.
- Marzano's Taxonomy: Like the Bloom’s Taxonomies, Marzano's Taxonomy is hierarchical with "the higher levels represent[ing] more sophisticated cognitive processes than the lower levels." However Marzano's Taxonomy is "broken into four overarching categories with 14 subcategories." (Maine Department of Education)
- Personalized Learning: "The term personalized learning, or personalization, refers to a diverse variety of educational programs, learning experiences, instructional approaches, and academic-support strategies that are intended to address the distinct learning needs, interests, aspirations, or cultural backgrounds of individual students." (Glossary of Education Reform)
- Proficiency-Based (a.k.a. Standards-Based): "Standards are used to guide curriculum. Student progress in demonstrating proficiency of standards is measured and used to determine advancement to higher learning levels." (Maine Department of Education)
- Rubric: "A tool that clearly and tangibly describes achievement of standards at a variety of scoring or complexity levels." (Maine Department of Education)
- Summative Assessment: "Assessment carried out in order to summarize and record a learner’s proficiency up to that point." (Maine Department of Education)